BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rockin' Sunset and Rockin' Ribs

With my "back-to-school" adventure looming in the very near future, I've enjoyed experiencing as many of my 30 things as I can before my free time starts to diminish. This weekend was no exception when Steve and I returned to Rockefeller Center on Saturday evening to:


"Watch the sunset from the Top of the Rock"

A few months after we moved to NYC, we went to the Top of the Rock (during the day) with my parents and were blown away by the view, and particularly by the massiveness of our beloved Central Park. Watching the sun set and the city brighten up with lights as the sky grew dark from 70 stories up, proved to be even more breathtaking. The weather on Saturday also happened to be the definition of glorious; it was perfect! Over to the right are some pics of No. 6:





Then on Sunday, our community group joined another couple from Apostles to prepare and serve dinner to the residents and staff at the Bailey-Holt House (BHH) in the West Village. BHH provides housing to those afflicted with AIDS, and our church has partnered with the Isaiah 58 Ministry through Hope for New York to provide meals the 2nd Sunday of every month. Otherwise, the residents would be on their own for dinner that day.

So, eight of us enjoyed preparing some good old southern style cooking with a menu of Pungent Short Ribs, Fried Onion Strings, Cornbread, Applesauce, and Banana Pudding- all made from scratch and made with love :) . In their industrial sized kitchen, we made quantities ranging from 45-70 servings (!!!), with some comical mishaps along the way, including some out of control cream cheese... but overall, ended up with a delicious outcome and a lot of fun.

Recently, I agreed to take on the position of the Volunteer Team Leader with Is 58 for Apostle's Church, where I'll basically be the liaison between Apostles and BHH to make sure all is set up and runs smoothly for the 2nd Sunday meals. It's been great so far and I'm sure it will provide for many fun memories this year as we develop relationships with the residents and staff. I'm sure more will come on this new chapter!

4 comments:

whitney said...

Wow! What a beautiful sunset! I love it! How many more things are on your list? It seems like you have done quite a few of them.
PS- I'm glad you got to do dinner at the Bailey House again. We loved getting to use the industrial kitchen and hanging out with cool people.

Summer said...

How fun that you are knocking things off your list, and they're meaningful too. I love you girlfriend!

Shawna said...

I truly admire your heart for service on top of all the other responsibilities in your life.

Beautiful picture!

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed by the number of things on your list you're getting done! If it were me it would be 2 days before I turn 30 and I would have to do 100 things!