BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 21, 2008

No. 19 - Completed!

So the great "Thirty by 30" Challenge is underway and I can now cross #19 off of my list:

"Read the Bible at least 30 minutes every day for an entire week."

I started in the New Testament with Matthew and am now midway through the book of Luke. I haven't decided where to go from here... I think I'll finish up through John, and then do some research into finding a devotional guide that will both advise me with what to read, and also provide more in-depth insight and understanding into what I'm reading. Any and all suggestions are very welcome!

I really did enjoy this challenge, and while I'd love to keep up with thirty-minutes of reading every day, I am disappointed to say, (but must honestly admit) that I probably won't be able to keep it up :( - every day for a full thirty minutes each time, but I'd like to come close! I have learned many things over this past week that I hope remain with me, however.

What impacted me most was changing my thinking about how I read the bible. Like I said before, I got into the habit of making 1-2 chapters my goal, so I would end up reading through those as quickly as possible and didn't really let anything sink in. Now, no matter how much time I have (30 minutes or just 5 minutes), I want that time to be purposeful and to let the words really soak in- whether it's a half a chapter, or ten chapters! For me personally, by setting aside the time to read, it wasn't about just getting through the chapters, it became intentional reading. I read slowly. I read aloud. I re-read passages that I didn't understand. This was a pivotal realization for me- I need to stop being preoccupied with how much I'm reading and I need to start focusing on how I read. The famed "quality over quantity" saying does have it's merit, that's for sure!

I'd like to share one passage that particularly stood out to me throughout this past week concerning Jesus' parable of the seeds that were scattered either along the path, the rocks, the thorns, or the soil. I love reading the gospels as they share many of the same stories in their own words because I felt like these stories were really sticking with me, and each time I read that specific parable about the seeds, I had the same thought. I worry that too often, I am like the seed that is spread along the thorns becoming choked once it grows up-

"they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature" Luke 8:14.

I get so caught up in the day to day of life, so caught up in worldy things, so concerned with what others think of me, etc, etc, that I know my "fruit" is not maturing as it could or as it should. I don't boldly share my faith with others at work because of my fear of what they'll think of me- I'm choked by the cares of life and of this world; I enjoy shopping maybe a little too much, and must "keep up appearances" with how I look and how my home looks- I'm choked by the riches of life; I like to be comfortable and am not always willing to give up some of these comforts even when it means I will be helping others or even bettering myself- I am choked by the pleasures of life. And the list goes on...

Thankfully, we have a gracious and merciful God who still loves me and is willing to work in me and change me, because there's a lot of work to be done! I am thankful for the opportunity I had last week to help pinpoint some of those areas in my life that so greatly need to be healed and changed. While I missed Steve terribly (and am so glad he's back!!!), I am glad for the extra time I had to be in His Word and am happy to say that I have grown closer in my relationship with Him through this challenge! :)

1 comments:

Shawna said...

great thoughts... i think we can all relate.