I can't even begin to explain how fortunate and blessed I feel to consider my mom my best friend. As Steve was away on another conference this past weekend, we had the pleasure of having a mother/daughter weekend while she visited me here in NYC. We've had several of these special moments over the years and I treasure them deeply. This was a particularly fun weekend as we ate, shopped, walked, got manicures and pedicures, and ate some more, and I don't think I can laugh with anyone like I can laugh with her... I'm talking "tears in my eyes," "i'm gonna pee!," cackling, snorting, laughing fits, and we had quite of few of those this weekend!
I'll focus this post on the fun we had Friday evening, which also includes the completion of No. 11 on my "Thirty by 30" list:
"Go to a diner after midnight."
My mom got in late Thursday night so we slept in Friday morning, then headed down to the Seaport to get some Broadway tickets at the "tkts" booth. Even though I initially headed the opposite direction out of the subway, we eventually made it (after I swallowed my pride and double checked our new direction with a security guard), and were lucky enough to get tickets to Curtains without even standing "on" line for more than a couple of minutes! It was a beautiful day so we enjoyed a wonderful lunch overlooking the river and Brooklyn Bridge , and spent the rest of the day shopping and relaxing. After some yummy Thai food for dinner,
we took a bus to the theater, taking in the sights along the way- something we especially appreciated about the buses (wink, wink Mom!) .
The show was excellent- very funny, tongue-in-cheek type humor, with great choreography and acting, starring David Hyde Pierce, Debra Monk, and Edward Hibbett. We thought we were hot stuff as we leapt out of our aisle seats at intermission in a mad dash to the ladies room, with NO line, straight to the toilets, beaming at ourselves as we saw the outrageous line that had already formed when we finished. For some reason, that was quite comical to us.
And then after the show ended, feeling particularly giddy, we attempted to take pictures of ourselves in front of one of the signs of D.H.P advertising the show, which resulted in more fits of laughter with people giving us more strange looks.
Still cracking up at our own silliness, we then walked by a large, wooden, chicken thing, advertising some chicken restaurant, and decided it made sense to take pictures of ourselves in front of that. We thought we were pretty funny at least, but I doubt anyone that passed us would've believed me if I said I actually lived here and wasn't a tourist...sigh. Good times.
We had quite an adreniline rush high at 10:45pm and were pumped to hit a diner. We stopped by home first to get more comfortable, and laughed even harder during that bus ride home as I attempted to teach my mom how to "txt message." At the suggestion of menu-pages, we headed down First Ave to "Ritz Diner," walking in right around 12:02ish. It was a very diner-esque diner with its decor and crowd and we ordered a haagen-dazs chocolate milkshake and mozzarella sticks. Mmmm… such yummy goodness. I attempted to take pictures of ourselves as we each drank out of a different straw of our shake at the same time, and that put us into side-splitting giggling, and then my mother decides she needs to floss.
I just about lost it.
I'm telling you, my face and my stomach actually hurt. Seriously. You would've thought we were at a bar, not a diner, kicking back shots of tequila, not sipping a milkshake by the way we were acting. I don't know what it is, but we just crack each other up. We gave up on trying to take our own picture and finally asked the waiter to take one- he was a bit hesitant because of our craziness, but it worked out.

We got home a little after 1am and were very proud of ourselves. It was definitely a fun "challenge" to complete and my mom was the perfect person to share that with. The rest of our weekend was awesome with more eating (Alice's Tea Cup, Hudson River Cafe, Beyoglu, Crumbs, Rosa Mexicana, Jacques Torres Chocolate, to name a few of our stops), more walking, and more shopping. I love you, Mom, and thanks for the unforgettable memories! :)
I'll focus this post on the fun we had Friday evening, which also includes the completion of No. 11 on my "Thirty by 30" list:
"Go to a diner after midnight."
My mom got in late Thursday night so we slept in Friday morning, then headed down to the Seaport to get some Broadway tickets at the "tkts" booth. Even though I initially headed the opposite direction out of the subway, we eventually made it (after I swallowed my pride and double checked our new direction with a security guard), and were lucky enough to get tickets to Curtains without even standing "on" line for more than a couple of minutes! It was a beautiful day so we enjoyed a wonderful lunch overlooking the river and Brooklyn Bridge , and spent the rest of the day shopping and relaxing. After some yummy Thai food for dinner,
we took a bus to the theater, taking in the sights along the way- something we especially appreciated about the buses (wink, wink Mom!) .
The show was excellent- very funny, tongue-in-cheek type humor, with great choreography and acting, starring David Hyde Pierce, Debra Monk, and Edward Hibbett. We thought we were hot stuff as we leapt out of our aisle seats at intermission in a mad dash to the ladies room, with NO line, straight to the toilets, beaming at ourselves as we saw the outrageous line that had already formed when we finished. For some reason, that was quite comical to us.
And then after the show ended, feeling particularly giddy, we attempted to take pictures of ourselves in front of one of the signs of D.H.P advertising the show, which resulted in more fits of laughter with people giving us more strange looks.
Still cracking up at our own silliness, we then walked by a large, wooden, chicken thing, advertising some chicken restaurant, and decided it made sense to take pictures of ourselves in front of that. We thought we were pretty funny at least, but I doubt anyone that passed us would've believed me if I said I actually lived here and wasn't a tourist...sigh. Good times.
We had quite an adreniline rush high at 10:45pm and were pumped to hit a diner. We stopped by home first to get more comfortable, and laughed even harder during that bus ride home as I attempted to teach my mom how to "txt message." At the suggestion of menu-pages, we headed down First Ave to "Ritz Diner," walking in right around 12:02ish. It was a very diner-esque diner with its decor and crowd and we ordered a haagen-dazs chocolate milkshake and mozzarella sticks. Mmmm… such yummy goodness. I attempted to take pictures of ourselves as we each drank out of a different straw of our shake at the same time, and that put us into side-splitting giggling, and then my mother decides she needs to floss.
I just about lost it.
I'm telling you, my face and my stomach actually hurt. Seriously. You would've thought we were at a bar, not a diner, kicking back shots of tequila, not sipping a milkshake by the way we were acting. I don't know what it is, but we just crack each other up. We gave up on trying to take our own picture and finally asked the waiter to take one- he was a bit hesitant because of our craziness, but it worked out.

We got home a little after 1am and were very proud of ourselves. It was definitely a fun "challenge" to complete and my mom was the perfect person to share that with. The rest of our weekend was awesome with more eating (Alice's Tea Cup, Hudson River Cafe, Beyoglu, Crumbs, Rosa Mexicana, Jacques Torres Chocolate, to name a few of our stops), more walking, and more shopping. I love you, Mom, and thanks for the unforgettable memories! :)





3 comments:
That sounds like such a wonderful time! It sounds exactly as ridiculous and fun if my Mom and I were let loose in NYC!
how great!! im glad you had such an awesome time. those tears-in-your-eyes laughs are the best!
and all that delicious eating is makin me hungry!
-katy
i love your relationship with your mom. that is really how God intended it all to be and such a great encouragement now that i am a mom. we are truly blessed to call our moms...our best friends. :)
Post a Comment