In honor of Valentine's Day, this post will be all about LOVE! Broken up into a few different parts, though...
I'd like to start with a cause that's very near and dear to our hearts- the LOVE146 organization which fights against child sex trafficking. Check out this inspiring video:
So to try and do at least a small part, Steve and I aren't doing any gifts this year, but are making a special dinner in and making hand-made cards. We'll donate what we would've spent to this worthy foundation instead. Check it out!
Second, I was really feeling the love yesterday as I had my first ever baby shower down at my parent's place in Alexandria, VA (which was sooo beautiful with all that snow!!!) predominantly with family and some close long-time friends of mine and my family. It was so incredibly special. Practically a reunion as some of my cousins and aunts I hadn't seen in years! I couldn't believe the generosity of these women and the afternoon was such a blessing. I do think our little Maelee will be quite a well dressed little girl - people just can't resist those adorable outfits! Here's a sampling of some pics, followed by a slide show of more.

The spread- AMAZING cupcakes, tea sandwiches, chicken salad, pasta salad, marinated veggies, and fruit skewers. YUMMY!!!

Game supplies! Pictures of babies (everyone had to wear one and try not to say the word "baby" - if someone heard you say it, they could steal your picture. Winner was the person with the most stolen baby pictures), toilet paper (name how many squares went around my belly- what do YOU think???), and a sheet with our little girl's name (how many girl names can you come up with using all of the letters in her name).


Some of the loot- people were SO generous!
And had a blast with the ladybug theme (see picture below that Steve took in FR that became inspiration behind room decor)
Some special mementos from when I was a baby- the specially made dress since I was a preemie and couldn't fit in normal clothes.
My mom's good friend and wife of their pastor actually found this adorable "flute player" onesie online!!!
Here I am with my sweet Cindy who has been a dear friend since 4th grade (!!!), and Deb and Deb! The Deb in the middle took care of all the food and goodie bags and did such a fabulous job!!! The Deb on the outside is Cindy's mom. We lived next door for six years in MD.
The "Metheny" Ladies!
(my Aunt Carol, Dad's sister; my cousin-in-law, Lori, my dad's newphew's wife; my lovely momma with her poor fractured elbow from falling in the ice; me and my preggo self, my cousin Cathy, Dad's neice; my cousin Colleen, Cathy's sister; Hannah, Lori's daughter; and my Aunt Donna, my Dad's brother's wife)

The Delaware Ladies!
(Mommy; Lucy, my Aunt Viv's sister; my Aunt Viv, my mom's brother's wife, moi; Kim, my cousin Sam's wife; Cyndi, Aunt Viv's other sister; Mandy, Lucy's daughter; and "Auntie Coop," a dear friend of my mother's and family friend)
Cindy's and my crazy bellies! Her little girl should be arriving very shortly after ours- can't believe it!!!Thirdly, I'm feeling especially strong emotions of love towards two very special family members right now - my Too-daddy and our little girl-to-be, Maelee. (My husband grows dearer and dearer to me as his support just increases more and more with this pregnancy, but my gushing over him can be found in other posts here.)
My Too-daddy: A few weeks ago, we got the devastating news that my sweet Too-dad has bladder cancer. He may be 85 but doesn't look (or act!) a day over 65 and this definitely came as a shock to us all. I think we just had naive hopes that nothing could ever hurt him... So it's been hard to swallow and your prayers over his treatment and recovery would be very much appreciated. There's also a small spot on his lung so he'll start a 16 week chemo treatment this Friday. We got to enjoy a short but sweet visit with him on our way back to NY from VA so it was great to see him, but this will definitely be a difficult journey for all of us.
My sweet Too-daddy and me back in June
My little Maelee: I'm feeling this little baby's movements more and more each day and we've finally started things rolling with her room. I have frequent dreams about her and can't believe how much I can already love her... It really is amazing and I can't wait to meet her! We had our first birth class last Thurs, which was quite informative (almost too much so!) but very exciting and encouraging at the same time. This really is happening!!!
Sweet Maelee in the big belly at 30 weeks
Finally, I'd like to leave you with the famous passage from Paul's letter to the church in Corinth about love. A few ladies are working on memorizing scripture together this year and these are the verses from the last couple of weeks- very appropriate timing!
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast;
it is not arrogant or rude.
It does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
it is not arrogant or rude.
It does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
I Corinthians 13:4-7
As I've been reading these words over and over, and really trying to get them to seep into my mind, they seem to keep coming up in various situations and revealing just how NOT loving I can be... whew. Quite convicting. But such great reminders.May you experience TRUE love this Valentine's Day!!!









2 comments:
Looks like your shower was so much fun! and I love the ladybug theme. That is going to be so cute! I can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for the update!
you look adorable in your fun pink top!! love it!!
what a great blessing to have such great friends and family.
Post a Comment