BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 11, 2009

An Amusing Ride

It has been said that God has a sense of humor.

Well, we are not only realizing this little side more and more, but we are also being constantly amazed by His grace!

Where am I going with this?

Some of you may be familiar with "our little plan" concerning the prospect of parenthood. For those of you who aren't, here it is:

For the past couple of years now, I have dreamed of getting pregnant right around, well, now actually, as in Sept-Oct so that our little bundle of joy might arrive close to July of 2010. Ahh, July. That blissful month seemed so perfect to me in my little dream. I would be completely done with school and all its requirements and obligations, my mom would be on her summer break and able to spend a large chunk of time with the new parents, Steve would be closer to completion of his current phase of work, etc, etc...

Well, God had another idea. But we are oh so thankful for it!

Also part of our "plan" was to hit Six Flags at the end of August as part of our Summer List of 2009 . (It was also part of the list to take a really long bike ride, but at this point, that probably won't be happening for a while either...) This little trip to an amusement park was brought to a screeching halt that morning of 8/21/09 as we got the biggest news yet of our lives:



And since we idiotically hadn't figured out which line meant what, we had to be sure:




While we hadn't actually begun "trying" yet (I know, TMI, sorry...), we did think we were "safe."

Apparently, we weren't.

Ok, so it may only be off by a couple of months, but God is still showing us that He can take our most well thought out "plans" and throw them out the window! There was a part of me that always knew God had His own plan in mind despite our best efforts, and I prayed over the possibility that His plan just might include several Julys (or Januarys, Februarys, Marchs, etc) from 2010 and I asked that I would just have peace and joy over whatever HIS timing might be. I sure didn't think His timing would be earlier than ours, though!!! But, He decided a mid-April baby was much better for us than a July baby anyway, and we are enjoying every minute of this journey that reveals His miracles and mercies more and more each day!

Ok, I know, so what I'm sure some of you really want to see...

My parent's reaction.

Now remember, we had been convincing my dear folks for the past 6 plus years (my dear folks who have been completely itching for a grand-baby since we got married...) that children were still several years away for us, so this was not at all on their radar. They thought they were coming up for the weekend to attend the Lecture Recital I was giving that coming Monday, and they thought the card we were presenting them was simply a belated "Anniversary Card" with two cute pugs on the front. Well, it wasn't.

Here's what it looked like:


Outside





Inside






Inside and flipped





And here's their response...




I knew my mom's first words would be "Wha-aat, Wha-aat???" But I pictured ecstatic screaming, not sweet tears :). It was very fun. Then the excitement really hit with squeals of "I can't stand it, I can't stand it!" All the while, my dad is just laughing giddy-ly.

Wasn't the video camera a little obvious, you may ask? Well, we had wanted my recital to be taped, so we just played it off like we were testing it out before the big day. I couldn't resist. I wanted this moment to be captured and a video seemed like the best way. My parents crack me up and I do love them for it. They could quite possibly be just as excited about our little one as we are- they're gonna be awesome grandparents:). Both sets of soon-to-be grandparents are quite thrilled and anxious!

And just a couple more pictures:


Our "little strawberry" at ~ 9 1/2 wks

(The give-away picture in the above card flipped over so they couldn't see at first)








Our "little plum" at ~ 11 1/2 wks


Belly shots will come when there's actually a belly from a baby, and not just from bloat or the cupcakes I devoured. Here's the most recent shot of us if you want a bit of a starting point.



At the zoo, around 11 wks along.

Not much "baby bump" yet, but I did recently enjoy a small shopping spree of peasant/empire waist-style-long tops to hide the soon-to-be "just chubby" looking look.:) I'm right about 14 weeks now, the beginning of the 2nd trimester, so clothes will start feeling snug any day. You'll see many pictures soon to come after our upcoming 9 day trip to France which we leave for on Sunday!

So, school will undoubtedly be a bit more stressful, trying to work out how I will get in the required hours of teaching I owe, giving a final recital while very pregnant and breathing with difficulty, not to mention all of the other requirements that come along with finishing this degree much earlier than usual. And my mom won't be able to stay quite as long as I had originally envisioned, and we might not have quite as much time/money/space as we would've liked...

But, there could always be more time/money/space and all of the above so we are definitely not complaining and we are sooo excited for this little miracle that God has blessed us with. We realize that we are completely at His mercy in this and God continues to work in me in letting go of control- what a lesson it has already been!

Please keep our "little peach" (the term he/she is affectionately referred to this week) in your prayers for continued good health and development, and check back for more updates! I will do my best to be more regular with these posts now that we have some much more worthy news to be posting about!

6 comments:

Sarah Kelly said...

You're parents are soooo cute! I can't wait to meet my little peach :)

Love, Auntie Sarah :)

whitney said...

Hey guys, We are so excited for you! I can't wait to hear more about your little peach, pear, squash, and eventually a melon (can you imagine?)
So, you always said that everyone that you are in community group always has a boy first, and well we didn't break that tradition, but what does that mean for you guys? A boy?
lets talk soon! We will be praying for you!
whitney

Melanie said...

congrats Becky and Steve! I love the video of your parents' reaction-- good for you for filming it-- it is a great way to hold on to that special moment. You will love being parents-- there is just nothing else like it in the world. Wish you all the best,
Love,
Melanie (and Blaise and Owen and new baby Keller due on 12-08-09)

Amber said...

Whoo hoo! I had a suspicion this is why you were moving!!!

Summer said...

OMG, I CAN'T STAND IT! =)

I just laughed out loud and cried at the same time!!!

Congrats mama!!! I so wish I was there to experience it with you.

Love you with all my heart girl!

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled for you!!! Congrats!!!! Can't wait to meet your little kumquat!