BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Thirty and Thankful

Brace yourself- as is fitting with the title and point of this post, there are 30 pictures below. Yes, 30. So once again, I'll try and keep my words brief and let the pics speak (write?) for themselves.


It's been a while since I've been able to indulge myself with some precious few moments dedicated to blogging and a lot has been going on as this first year of school winds down... but I'll save the details of that for another post altogether sometime this summer. This post will focus then on my "big 3-0" and some very happy and memorable moments of hitting that milestone.


March 27, 2009 began with some yummy pancakes made by my sweet hubby.

When I got home from school, this sweet hubby of mine really outdid himself with 30 roses and 30 little red envelopes taped and hidden all over the apartment.

Each envelope contained a different verse from the Bible about love and beauty with a thought from Steve underneath that related. Most of them were in places that were quite "appropriate" to their meaning - this one under the clock read

"So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few daysbecause of the love he had for her." Gen 29:20

Underneath he wrote "I would toil in darkest dungeons to earn your hand." Aww...


He even had one in the shower- "Many waters cannot quench love...," one in our spoon and spatula container- "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works...," and one on a picture of mine and my mom's painted toes- "How beautiful are your feet in sandals..."

He was pretty clever and oh so sweet. Every birthday of mine he has hidden various items throughout our apt for me to find- the first year it was my favorite kind of See's chocolates, one year he wrote haikus, but this year definitely takes the cake. I thank God for him every day.

The last red envelope was attached to this big box of Godiva chocolates. Paired with the chocolate-covered oreos that my parents had sent, and the two Buttercup pieces of cake (in my favorite inter-racial flavors pictured below), little did I know that I would gain about 30 lbs on my birthday making it truly the B I G 3-0...

Once Steve got home, he made a DELICIOUS dinner of scallops with a yummy onion sauce on top, asparagus spears with a twist of leak wrapped around, and mashed yukon potatoes. Quite a meal...

After our dinner, I read another sweet gift that he had prepared for me - he had gone through the Bible and found all of the Chapters 3's, verse 27's and found a way to compare them with God's love. Some of them proved quite difficult -

"And when Abner returned to Hebron, Joab took him aside into the midst of the gate to speak with him privately, and there he struck him in the stomach, so that he died, for the blood of Asahel his brother." II Samuel 3:27.

Wow.

He still somehow managed to turn that into a statement of God's love and grace and that "justice is God's-not ours," ending with "I pray that you will be free from such brutality for all your days." Thanks, my love! So do I... :)

Some of them were definitely easier than others and then there was the fitting last 3:27 in the Bible from Galatians-

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." Gal 3:27

And he reminded me of that simple truth that through my baptism, I have died to sin and been "raised again with Christ, becoming part of His inheritance and His family."

I was quite speechless after all of these thoughtful gifts that he took a lot of time out of his day to do for me. I don't know why I have been blessed with such an incredible man who loves me more than I could ever deserve when I can be so entirely un-loveable at so many times, but I am so very thankful for him. Thank you, my love, for making my day so special!!!


Ending on a very sweet note!

The next morning we spent a lovely breakfast with some dear friends at Alice's Tea Cup and I enjoyed watching Steve and Pete drink out of their dainty, little, tea cups. :)

Those scones are to. die. for. Such yummy goodness! A chocolate one and a pumpkin one and another couple of lbs...

Pete and Heather with their little Jack in the back, Todd and Jessa in the front. I'm so thankful for my friends!



The next weekend we went home to Alexandria to see my parents and Daniel one last time before his trip to Japan where he'll be for at least a year and 1/2. It was a very bittersweet visit but an amazing time and we had so much fun reminiscing with just the four of us. I am sooo thankful for my family!!!



We even got to take in the GORGEOUS Cherry Blossom Festival in DC - smiling proudly next to my big brother. I'm so excited for him!



Then, 30 days after the Big 3-0 birthday, I got to celebrate NYC style


with about 50 or so friends from church, work, and school in Central Park.


My parents, my Too-dad and Mary Catherine, Mary Catherine's daughter, Susan, and even Gracie (my folk's sweet, black pug) made the trip!


CenterCharge friends- Jill, Malec, Ariel, and Barbara

My dear, sweet Jackie

Sweet Steve


My incredible mommy cutting the cake

The man who can do no wrong, my Too-daddy

Some sweet gals from Apostles- Treeny, Joy, Danise, and Katy

Some old small group friends- Will and Megan, and Rebekah and Tom

Current small group friends- David and Radhika, Steve and Nikki (we'll miss you guys!), and Lauren and Nate

My amazing Sarah who pretty much made the party happen.

Sidenote- Steve had a conference in the Poconos that he was leaving from that morning and my parents were driving up that morning as well. Both got stuck in horrendous traffic, and while the plan was for Steve and my fam to be at my apartment by 1pm or so to help take everything down to the park and set up, by 2:30 (party at 3pm) and after dozens of frantic calls, we realized it was up to Sarah and I to get the party started! So we loaded up the balloons, a table, and several bags into a cab and made the best out of it we could! Not exactly how I had hoped things would go, but Sarah was an incredible help and Steve had even called a couple people to help us once we got there so everything turned out fine :).


My Stony Brook fluter pal, Enrico

Judson, enjoying the balloon

Hot, but a beautiful day

I love you guys!

At dinner afterwards with TD, MC, Susan, Steve, and my ma and pa.

(T00-dad with his silly expression :)

I am so thankful for Steve, my friends, and my family and it has been a great 30 years, largely because of the support and love they have given me. I am floored by God's grace and goodness in my life- it is something I do not boast in (which is not at all the point of this post and I pray it doesn't come across that way!), but something that I am in such humble awe over. I don't know what the next 30 years will hold, or 30 beyond that, but I know there will be trials and tribulations along with the blessings and I just pray that I will always remember to be thankful through it all!


3 comments:

Summer said...

Becky!!!! I wish I could have been there!!! =( I miss you so much.

Things are crazy this week...Jimmy is out of town and we're moving. So, once we get moved in, I will give you a call!

Love you!

Shawna said...

wow - it looks like you have celebrated and have been celebrated well. you for sure have a real man...one that consistently points you back to Christ. a true and rare blessing. welcome to the 30's club!

Kristian and Katy said...

Steve... Whatta guy!!! Such a blessing to have a husband who loves you so well.
And Happy 30th!!!

Love you!