BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 11, 2009

The "List"- An Update

It looks like the main reason that I started this blog, to chronicle my "Thirty by 30 Challenge" has really fallen by the wayside lately, so I thought I'd do a little update on where that stands!

But first, a little update on the uneventful Mason household as of late-

Our Christmas flew by, but was still lovely- short but sweet visits with my Too-daddy and mom's side of the family on Christmas Eve; Christmas morning with my folks and brother; Christmas dinner with Steve's folks, sister and her boyfriend; then back up to NYC with my folks where we enjoyed Cirque du Soleil's Wintuk and lots of good food as always.

Since then, I've enjoyed time off from school but not much time off from my Lincoln Center work... sigh. Not complaining though! Still more practicing and hubby time than I've had in a while so I'm going to enjoy these next couple of weeks while they last, and am looking forward to some mommy-daughter time this weekend when she comes up here for a few days.

Ok, back to the list...

I'm actually just about there but have to unfortunately defer one of the items, #9, to be a "Thirty while 30" instead of by 30. Little did we realize last year that the Shakespeare in the Park performances were so early on in the summer (like late May-early June...)! Come July when I started looking into it, I sadly realized my mistake, sigh... But that just makes me even more determined to take advantage of it this summer!!!

For now, here are a couple of the items that I've pretty much completed, but haven't blogged about yet:

17. Help someone in need even if it makes me feel uncomfortable

20. Share my faith with someone at work

As for #17:

Living in this city, tourists and their cameras are often out in full force, especially in our beloved, picturesque Central Park. And like Steve and I whenever we travel, I frequently see a family or couple splitting up to get the shot when they can't all be in it. Since we hate to ask someone to take our picture, we've tried (of course not always, I hesitate to admit...) to make a habit out of offering to take other peoples' pictures when we pass them in the act. Sometimes it is a tad uncomfortable and I can't help but wonder if they're hesitating out of fear that I'll take their camera and run (!), but for the most part, people are incredibly sweet and grateful and doggonnit, it makes me feel good :). Not very spectacular, I know, but it is one way I feel it can make someone's day!

Along those lines, I've also really tried to make sure to help out the mother/stroller combo whenever I see them approaching the blasted stairs up or down to the subway platform. I admit, I get pretty frusterated at the number of big, burly men who quickly pass by without a glance (I know- judging!); I mean, I know the mom's here (well, everywhere!!!) kick butt and are amazingly strong and don't really need a hand, but doggonnit, why not make their day a little easier by helping them carry their little one up/down those stairs??? So, that's one other way I try and offer my feeble assistance and I'm always so touched at how genuinely appreciative and grateful these women are.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, this was part of a challenge, after all. But it has been a good one, opening my eyes to small acts that seem to really make a difference to people and you know, I gotta wonder if it actually makes me feel better than the people I "help!" :)

As for #20:

This blog with my "Thirty by 30" has actually come quite in handy in this area! On a few occasions, people at work have wanted to check out my blog and consequently read about my faith here, giving me the opportunity to share at least a little bit about my church, etc, but it's still hard for me to delve too deep... sigh. One step at a time! Once, I was able to talk a fair bit about the core beliefs of Apostles with a co-worker who sits next to me, though. I invited her to church, which she still hasn't taken me up on (yet...) but hopefully a seed has at least been planted.

I'm really working on #20 in a relationship with one of my dear friends, however, who I used to work with (friends before working together and still now that she's moved on to another job). She has had quite a rough life, to say the least, enduring hardships that I shutter to even think about and I pray constantly that she might one day know the complete love, peace, and security in Christ, finally finding true freedom from all that she has experienced. It's a step-by-step process, and I appreciate your prayers as I explore how best to minister to her without pushing her away. I love her dearly, and if nothing else, I hope and pray that this particular challenge can at least inspire me to be more mindful in how being open with my faith might help someone else explore theirs, ultimately finding the Lord as a result.

Whew- and there goes another crazy wordy post. Sorry! Maybe if I posted more frequently, they wouldn't be so stinkin' long!!! Guess that'll be a challenge for another time... ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky - glad you were able to spend time with all your family for Christmas! Love the list update - such a challenge that you're accomplishing.

Shawna said...

I'm so thankful I was able to hear these updates in person. :) Great to see you today and thanks again for the cupcakes!