BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Halloween in the Heights and Saturday in the Suburbs

We spent a great Halloween at the home of our friends, Jay and Desiree (and sweet baby James!), up in Washington Heights. With some of our other great friends from our community group, we rocked out with Guitar Hero and ate some really good food. Steve was quite the rock star... But none of us could top Pete's get-up.



David and Radhika, Desiree, Pete, Jay, Jessa, Steve, and me

Fun times! It was a great night.

Alas, thy suburbs, how do I miss thee? Well, not as much as I thought actually. Don't get me wrong- our day trip to the burb's last Saturday was a lot of fun, but I've realized I'm definitely a city girl now. At least for the time being. And for the next few years. Well, for the next several years... Well, as many years as possible... We hope at least!

So, one of the (awesome!) families from Apostles graciously loaned us their minivan,

aka "The Silver Bullet,"

for our trip out to South Setauket/Stony Brook, Long Island. Since I really needed (and wanted) to go to the orchestra concert at school that night, I figured we may as well try and make a day of it and hit a Target and some good ole' chain restaurant eats to fulfill #28:

Rent a car for the day for some chain restaurant eating and suburbia shopping

It was doubly nice to not have to rent the car, and man, what a difference it makes to drive (in no traffic) from SB back to Manhattan (at 10pm ) - an hour!!! Yep, a good 2 1/2 hrs on the LIRR/subway... sigh.

Anyhow, we spent almost two hours at the Target. Yes, two hours. Maybe that doesn't seem too long to some. I enjoyed it. Not sure if Steve was in his glory, but we got a lot of stuff, and boy was it nice to not have to worry about how we'd carry it all back on the train!!! Speaking of stuff though, just about everything we got was on our checklist of things we needed- baby shower items for the shower we threw for Heather today, "party favors" for our next game night at the Bailey Holt House, and as many toiletries, cleaning supplies, paper products, food, etc, that we had run out of.

Now please don't get me wrong- I'm definitely not trying to give ourselves any credit here or sound holier than thou; if we had several hundred more dollars to blow, we could've really knocked ourselves out! But, I really was just totally amazed at all the STUFF in that store! Do people really need some of these items (???) - dozens of different kinds of the same gardening tool, sports equipment, craft supply; rows and ROWS of Halloween stuff; photo albums, KNICK-KNACKS! Wow. I guess maybe if you have a big house, you'd probably feel like you need to fill it? It was quite a sight. But it actually made me thankful of our modest one bedroom abode...

Again, I'm not knocking Target- I love that store!!! I just couldn't get over all the s t u f f....

After our shopping spree, we drove across the street (ha- maybe the distance of two north/south blocks, and we drove!!!) to Chili's. Oh yes, you read correctly- Chili's!!! I do love those southwestern eggrolls and fajita pitas!



Still as tasty as ever. And check out the adorable three shot variety desserts!


YUMMY! Cinnamon roll, key lime pie (for Steve), and red velvet cake.

Not quite the same as the fare that can be found on many a side street in our neighborhood, but very comforting and scrumptious none-the-less.

I guess I thought I needed this trip to the burbs; and again I, of course, very much enjoyed Target and Chili's, but I'm definitely cool with it just being a "day trip." Maybe once a year will do :)



1 comments:

Summer said...

I missssss youuuuuuuuuu! ;-)

Come visit us!

Hugs...Summer